Thanksgiving is a special time of year to celebrate bounty and to spend time with family. Making crafts is a great way to bond with loved ones while creating keepsakes and decorative items that you'll cherish year after year.
Nature Stamping Projects
Stamping is a great way to make Thanksgiving and fall themed crafts. Use traditional rubber stamps, or search outdoors for unique patterns. The leaves in your backyard, flowers from your garden, or an apple cut in half will all make excellent stamps when dipped in acrylic paint. Use them to create greeting cards or party invitations, placemats, place cards, wall art or other items. Use fabric paint to create tablecloths, linen napkins, tote bags, pillows and other fabric items.
Gift Wrap or Gift Bags
Create beautiful custom wrapping for fall gifts with natural stamps and paper or a bag.
- Acrylic paint and small trays
- Sheet of butcher paper or plain paper bag
- Pour paint into trays, one for each color
- Dip a leaf into the paint, using the side of the leaf with the most ribbing and detail
- Press the painted side onto the paper or bag
- Repeat using a different colored paint and different leaves
You can create a pattern with the leaves, or place them randomly. Using fall colors such as red, orange, brown, and yellow will make your gift wrap even more seasonal.
Create a custom seasonal T-shirt to wear to a holiday gathering or to give as a gift.
- Plain T-shirt
- Fabric paints
- Fall inspired rubber stamps
- Brush paint onto a rubber stamp
- Press stamp on the T-shirt
- Create an interesting pattern using a single stamp or a variety of images
- Allow the paint to dry or put it in the clothes dryer depending on the instructions on the fabric paint packaging
Download Free Thanksgiving Craft Patterns
Fabric Crafts for Thanksgiving
It's hard to resist holiday fabric with little prints of turkeys, fall leaves and pumpkins in seasonal colors. Some things you can do with this fabric include making throw pillows, table cloths and runners, and making seasonal drapes and curtains. There are many other possible craft projects that can be made out of fabric.
Fabric napkins are not only useful, but are also a good way to add a decorative touch to a Thanksgiving table.
- Needle and thread or sewing machine
- Cut fabric into 18-inch squares
- Iron a 1/4 inch edge on all sides
- Sew around all the edges
- Press with the iron to make the seams crisp
Felt is a great fabric for Thanksgiving and fall crafts. It's inexpensive, available in a wide variety of colors, and easy for beginning crafters to work with. One useful and decorative felt craft is making coasters to keep holiday tables safe.
- Pinking Scissors
- Cut felt into any shaped desired using pinking shears
- The finished shape should extend at least three inches in all directions to provide a large enough surface for the bottom of a glass
You can decorate your finished coasters with stamps, fabric paint, or decorative stitching if you'd like to.
A centerpiece for your table is a craft that will get a lot of attention during the big holiday dinner. Centerpieces for Thanksgiving are often made out of Indian corn, decorative pumpkins, dried grasses, fall leaves and twigs. For something a little different, buy a large glass vase or a trifle dish and fill it with apples, or simply arrange a small collection of pine cones that have been painted gold at the center of the table. Here are some other centerpiece ideas.
Votive Candle Holders
Candles create a warm atmosphere and can be made more festive in a holiday holder.
- Fallen twigs
- Votive candle holder
- Gather twigs and cut to 3-inch lengths
- Glue the twigs in a vertical row around the votive candle holder
- Tie twine around the center of the holder to help hold it in place and to add a decorative element
A small group of these votives makes a nice centerpiece by itself, or use the candles as part of a larger arrangement.
Pumpkin Candle Holders
Pumpkins are synonomous with the harvest season and can be incorporated into holiday decor.
- Small decorative pumpkin
- Votive candle
- Remove the stem from the pumpkin using a sharp knife
- Make a small indentation to hold a candle
- Optional: Paint the pumpkin gold or another color
- Insert candle
If you're welcoming people to your house for Thanksgiving, a great way to add some holiday cheer is with wreaths that you make yourself. A plain grapevine or a straw wreath makes a good base for a fall door or wall decoration. A wreath can also be decorated and used as a centerpiece on a holiday table.
Fall Decor Wreath
Highlight the beauty of the season by decorating a wreath in a fall motif.
- Grapevine wreath
- Fall colored or patterned ribbon
- Hot glue gun
- Fall leaves, pine cones and other embellishments
- Wrap the ribbon around the wreath
- Secure both ends with a dab of hot glue
- Make a bow out of the ribbon and hot glue it where the two ends meet
- Use hot glue to attach pine cones, leaves and other embellishments
- Use the wire to make a hanging loop
Decorating for Thanksgiving
You don't need to be terribly crafty to make something that friends and family will remember for Thanksgiving. Using a bit of creativity and taking your cues from the colors and symbols of the season, you can put together some beautiful decorations or thoughtful gifts to celebrate this time of bounty and togetherness.