Quick and easy quilting projects are perfect for those who don't have a lot of time on their hands or are new to quilting, but want to make colorful and creative blankets, pillows or wall hangings.
How to Pick a Quilting Project
Choosing just one quilting activity may be a difficult decision. There are a few things you need to decide:
- How much time do you have to complete the item?
- Where are your strengths and weaknesses in regards to quilting?
- Are you going to use a machine or quilt by hand?
- How much you want to spend on your project?
If you are looking for something simple, a king-size quilt is probably out of the question. Take your time and check out some quilting forums, browse through your favorite fabric store or read through a few books for the perfect idea.
Colorful quilted wall hangings make wonderful gifts. They can brighten the walls of a new home or even a child's bedroom. You can create one for a specific holiday or home decor theme.
- The Peacock Swallowtail Freestyle Quilt Wall Hanging makes a great decoration to welcome spring into your home.
- The In the Pines Wall Hanging kit uses geometric shapes. You will need a few extra tools and items to complete this hanging.
- The Roly-Poly Cat-A-Funics Wall Hanging highlights bright colors and basic shapes.
Lap or Baby Blankets
Smaller quilted blankets and lap quilts are simple to make and great gifts to receive.
Nothing decorates a bedroom or living room more than colorful throw pillows--also known as "quillows." Most are very basic to do and few supplies are needed.
Easy Quilting Kits
Quilting kits are your best for quick and easy quilting project. You don't have to worry buying, measuring or cutting fabric. Everything you need to complete your item is included.
You don't need expensive supplies or notions to do these quilting projects quickly and easily. Remember, basic is best. Spend some time in your local fabric store and pick up the following:
- Fabric scissors
- Rotary cutter and mat
- Plastic ruler
- Measuring tape
- Cotton batting
- Simple templates such as squares, triangles and rectangles
- Thread in various weights and colors
- Quilting fabric
- Sewing machine (can make the process go quicker and smoother)
Tips for Quick and Easy Quilting
There are many simple techniques quilters use. Here are just a few:
- To minimize thread damage to the fabric, cut all four corners off the material before you wash it.
- Wash and press the fabric before you start.
- Make sure you follow the fabric's grain when cutting and sewing.
- When setting a seam, do not use the steam setting on your iron. This will cause the fabric to pucker.
- When sewing the quilt's binding, use quilt clips to hold it in place.
- Roll your quilt onto to an empty wrapping paper tube to avoid wrinkling or creases.
- Cotton or cotton-blend batting is the easiest kind to add to a quilt.