If you're new to making your own handbags, you'll love all the great purse making supplies on the market. With the many options available, you're sure to find products that are perfect for your design.
About Purse Making
For many crafters, making a purse is a great way to show off your handiwork. There's nothing like receiving a compliment on your handbag and being able to say that you made it yourself. Homemade purses are a great way to display your work in these and other crafts:
- Needlepoint, cross stitch, or embroidery
- Knitting and felting
- Crocheted designs
- Appliqués and quilting
Types of Supplies
Depending on the style of bag you plan to create and the craft materials you intend to use, you'll need a variety of supplies to complete your project. Some of the many purse supplies available include the following:
- Handles made of wood, plastic, metal, or other materials
- Purse feet
- Frames or interfacing to give your purse structure
- Closures, including magnetic snaps
- Buckles, rivets, and other hardware
- Purse fabrics and leather pieces
- Trims and tassels
- Books and patterns for making purses
- Kits that include everything you need to make a purse
Where to Buy Purse Making Supplies
If you're just getting into this fun craft, you might want to start with a trip to the local craft store. While the selection is limited at brick and mortar shops, most craft stores have an aisle devoted to purse making. This will give you an idea of the basics, and you can peruse online stores for a better selection of supplies.
The following online shops specialize in the many things you'll need for purse making:
- Tall Poppy Craft Products has everything you'll need to make a one-of-a-kind handbag. You'll find handles in every color and material, as well as kits, patterns, books, and lots of fabric and trim choices.
- U Handbag has large selection of purse supplies and patterns. You'll find chain handles, zippers, purse bottoms, fabrics, and easy purse kits.
- Sew Thankful doesn't specialize exclusively in purse making, but they do have everything you'll need to make your unique handbag. This sewing and quilting store also has a great selection of fabrics perfect for your purse design.
- Lee's Crafts and Things offers several items for purse making, including handles, purse feet, and magnetic snaps. This site also provides instructions for installing snaps and tips for starting your own purse business.
Non-Traditional Sources for Supplies
Craft stores and purse specialty shops aren't the only place to find supplies for making your own handbags. If you want to get creative, consider looking for supplies at your local thrift shop. To find what you need, peruse bins and racks of secondhand purses. Examine each purse's construction to figure out how to reuse some of the components. You can also use old sweaters to create a felted purse or repurpose other fabrics to create a quilted bag.
No matter where you buy your purse making supplies, you can combine the materials in new ways to make a purse that is one of a kind.