If you need a place to store your necklaces, earrings, and bracelets, make jewelry boxes that are as unique as you.
Buying Jewelry Boxes to Decorate
Large craft stores such as Hobby Lobby and Michaels Crafts often have plain wooden jewelry boxes in various sizes that you can decorate. Check your local newspaper or the company Web site for coupons to use on your purchase.
If you'd prefer to shop online, however, you can find jewelry boxes for sale on the following Web sites:
Make Jewelry Boxes with Decoupage
Decoupage is an ancient craft that is thought to originate from East Siberian tomb art. Pablo Picasso and Henri Matisse are two of the many well known 20th century artists who have used decoupage in their work.Today, decoupage is a simple technique that you can use to customize the look of a number of items for your home, including jewelry boxes. Here's how you make jewelry boxes using decoupage:
- Craft knife
- Fine grit sandpaper or emery board
- Mod Podge
- Foam paint brush
- Popsicle stick
- Plain wooden jewelry box with lid
- Acrylic craft paint
- Scrapbook paper, copies of old family photos, magazine clippings, greeting cards, or other related ephemera
- Ribbon, rhinestones, buttons, or other embellishments if desired
- Paint your wooden jewelry box the base color of your choice. Let dry thoroughly.
- Cut your collage items to fit your jewelry box, using the craft knife to get into the small corners.
- Use the foam paintbrush and Mod Podge to adhere your collage pieces to your jewelry box. Smooth out any air bubbles with the popsicle stick and let dry thoroughly.
- Sand off any rough edges or use the emery board to give your collage a distressed look.
- Coat with two or three layers of Mod Podge to seal the box, allowing the box to dry for several hours between coats.
- Add ribbon, rhinestones, or other embellishments if desired.
Additional Jewelry Box Projects
For more great ideas on how to make jewelry boxes, LoveToKnow Crafts recommends visiting the following helpful links:
- DIY Organization on Youtube: Use acrylic paints and a stencil you make yourself to create a custom box.
- Artists Helping Children: These simple projects are great crafts to enjoy with your children.
- Ana White: If you have carpentry skills, you can try this major project and construct your own fancy jewelry box/armoire.
If you've found a secondhand jewelry box that simply has a few minor cosmetic flaws, check out the Mod Podge Rocks! article on Jewelry Box Makeovers for repair suggestions.
Jewelry Boxes and Home-Based Craft Businesses
Because a handmade jewelry box makes a lovely gift for any woman, jewelry boxes are great craft ideas to sell. If you can come up with a design that is easily reproduced, you can sell your product at local craft shows or online through a site such as Etsy. In addition, jewelry boxes are a wonderful complimentary craft for someone who has a home-based business selling handmade jewelry. It's only natural that a customer who loves unique accessories would be searching for a special way to store her jewelry collection.