The Magic Loop sock pattern is a technique for knitting socks using just one circular needle. It is a great alternative for people who always seem to be frustrated by the loss of a double pointed needle.
Basics for Magic Loop Knitting
It is easy to learn to knit socks this way and there are even patterns for knitting two socks at once. With the Magic Loop sock pattern, you will be knitting the socks from the toe up. This gives you the opportunity to try them on as you go for a perfect fit.
You will need a circular knitting needle about three to four times the circumference of the sock you want to knit. For a pair of socks, the circular needle will be approximately 30 inches long. Most patterns call for needles to be size one or two. Always use the size that you need to give you the right gauge.
You will also need two 50 gram balls of sock weight yarn. Fingering weight yard will also work well. By using two balls, you can knit two socks at the same time.
Read through the patterns and directions carefully to make sure that you understand each step. Magic Loop sock patterns are a little different than knitting socks the traditional way, so it may seem difficult at first. Once you get the hang of it, however, you will probably find that it is much easier than knitting socks with the double pointed needles.
Magic Loop Sock Pattern Web Sites
There are so many different Magic Loop patterns on the Internet that it can be hard to choose which to make first. From Fair Isle patterns to plain stockinette stitch, there is a sock for every preference.
- Knit two socks at once with these instructions for a toe up pattern.
- Magic Loop toddler socks are quick and easy to make, and a good way to learn the technique.
- Knitty has a beautiful falling leaves pattern sock that is perfect for chilly fall days.
- This tutorial has step by step images to help you understand the process of knitting a Magic Loop sock.
- Knit Picks has in depth instructions on this PDF file.
- Another basic pattern for Magic Loop socks is on the Tia Judy site.
Tips and Video Helps
Here are some helpful tips for working with the Magic Loop technique:
- Blueprint Crafts has tips for dealing with some of the major problems encountered when using a Magic Loop.
- Instructional videos for using the Magic Loop method for knitting socks can be found on youTube.
- This is another video tutorial that some people may find more helpful.
Check for Classes in Your Area
Many yarn shops are sponsoring classes in this technique. If you learn best by taking a class, you may want to check with your favorite shop to see if any classes are coming up. The classes usually are split into two sessions and the fees often include your materials. This is also a great way to meet new friends with similar interests.If you enjoy knitting socks, but have been looking for an easier way to do it, this technique may be exactly what you are looking for.