A handmade blanket makes for a lovely gift on its own, but learning how to make gift baskets using a fleece blanket can transform your present into something very memorable.
Making a Fleece Blanket
Obviously, before you can learn how to make gift baskets using a fleece blanket, you'll need to first create the blanket itself. Fleece is a very easy fabric to work with, since it does not fray when cut. Sewing a blanket requires only minimal skills, but you can also take the no-sew approach and tie together a fringed fleece blanket if you wish. Review the LoveToKnow Crafts article How to Make a Fleece Blanket for details.
How to Make Gift Baskets Using a Fleece Blanket
Once you've got your blanket ready to go, it's time to create a gift basket. If this is the first time you've tried to make your own gift basket, here are a few tips to keep in mind:
- Look for containers to use for your gift basket at your local thrift shop. Most thrift shops have a large assortment of bowls and baskets that could be repurposed for making a special gift.
- Check out your local dollar store for small filler items for your gift basket, such as cheap candy or scented candles.
- When making a basket with a fleece blanket, save money by using the blanket as your basic basket filler instead of purchasing tissue paper or other materials for lining your basket.
- If you're worried about items falling out of your gift basket as it's being transported, wrap it in cellophane and tie it shut with a ribbon bow.
As you're making your gift basket, remember that the best gift baskets are those which have a specific theme that ties all of the items together. Choose a theme that represents the interests of the recipient, whether you're giving a gift to a movie buff or searching for a romantic present for a newly married couple.
Movie Night Gift Basket
Everyone loves movie night! Treat your favorite film fanatic to a basket that includes everything she'll need to enjoy a relaxing night at home with her favorite flick. Pick up a large popcorn bowl, then fill it with your fleece blanket and a few of the following movie-themed items:
- Microwave popcorn
- Popcorn seasoning
- Movie candy such as Milk Duds or chocolate covered raisins
- Two-liter bottle of soda
- DVD or gift certificate for a movie rental at the local video store
Picnic Gift Basket
There's nothing more romantic than an old-fashioned picnic, which makes this gift basket a great idea for a newly married couple or a pair celebrating a special anniversary. A picnic gift basket would also be a great Valentine gift basket idea. Pick up a pretty wicker picnic basket, line it with your handmade fleece blanket, and add a few of the following special treats:
- Bottle of wine or sparking cider
- Assortment of meat, cheese, and crackers
- Grapes, apples, oranges, or other fresh fruit
- Picnic dishes
Tailgating Gift Basket
Sports fans will be thrilled to receive a fleece blanket that's part of a tailgating themed gift basket. Fill a cooler with a blanket and some of the following items:
- Tortilla chips and salsa
- Summer sausage
- Beef jerky
- Honey roasted peanuts
- Chex mix
- Foam finger
- Hat or other souvenir representing the recipient's favorite team
Bookworm Bliss Gift Basket
If you know someone who loves nothing more than to curl up in bed with a good book, treat her to a gift basket that features a soft fleece blanket and some of the following items:
- Romance novel or chick-lit book
- Pretty bookmark
- Box of chocolates
- Small notebook and pen
- Scented candle
- Tissues, in case she gets a little weepy from her reading
Homemade fleece blankets can add an extra touch of coziness to any gift basket, and they're a perfect way to give a crafty gift to friends and family.