Update your wardrobe with season with outfits created using free knitted tank top patterns. It doesn't matter if it's summer or winter, these versatile tops look great alone or with matching shrugs and jackets.
Types of Free Knitted Tank Top Patterns
When you hear the term "tank top", you may think of sporty sleeveless t-shirts worn while working out or lounging around. Knitted tank tops, however, are becoming a more accepted style of shirt women can wear casually with jeans or to work with a skirt or dress pants. Don't worry about it being sleeveless--bring along a sweater or jacket so you can cover up as needed.
Most knitted tank tops are made out of DK (double knitting) weight yarn. It is a good thin yarn that works well with stitch definition. Since it's a lighter yarn, you won't produce very heavy or thick tank tops with it. What you will get are stylish and comfortable tops in just about any style or color you want.
Spaghetti Strap Tanks
These tank tops have thin or "spaghetti" straps anywhere from a half-inch to an inch wide. Women normally wear strapless bras or ones with clear straps underneath this type of tank. They may also pair it with a cute t-shirt to create a layered look. Some free knitted tank top patterns for this style include:
- Knitty offers a great pattern for a Peek-a-boob nursing tank top with spaghetti straps. Perfect for those hot summer days with baby. The pattern is available for sizes up to extra large and bra cup sizes through DD.
- Bernat has a simple tank top with thin straps and ranges in bust measurements from 28/30 to 56/62. However, while the pattern is free, you do need to register with the Web site to gain access to the directions.
T-shirt Style Tanks
Designed after the original style of women's tanks tops, these shirts have about two-inch straps that rest on your shoulders. These can be dressy enough to wear alone and are perfect for those warmer summer days. Some patterns include:
- Ravelry has a textured Blippity Tank Top pattern available in bust sizes 33 to 48. While this top would look great worn by itself, there is an accompanying free pattern for a matching shrug.
- Lion Yarn offers a pattern for a Drop Stitch Knitted Tank Top.
Other Styles of Tank Tops
Knit yourself a non-traditional style of tank top. Make one with a turtleneck collar or an attached scarf--embellishments that dress up something that may look otherwise plain.
- Daily Knitter has a pattern for a stretchy, tight-fitting tank knitted with pom-pom yarn. The neckline is higher and would look great if worn with a jacket. The pattern is available in small, medium and large sizes.
- Lion has a sporty racer back tank top pattern in sizes small, medium and large.
Finding More Free Patterns
Chances are if you are an avid knitter, you probably have an idea of how to make a tank top or have some patterns in your files that will show you. However, if you are new to knitting and need some ideas, here are a few places to find these free patterns:
- Library: Your local public library will have a variety of craft books dedicated to knitting. Many libraries also have a "Friends of the Library" group that holds book sales.
- Garage sales: Spend your Saturday mornings scavenging boxes for knitting books. While they may not be free, they will be deeply discounted.
- Fellow knitters: If you belong to a knitting club or know of others who knit, have a pattern swap. You may be surprised at what type of free knitted tank top patterns you receive.