If you have a few baby socks that have lost their mates, there's no need to throw them away. Instead, you can use them to create an adorable rattle toy for your little one. This fun craft project also makes a great baby gift.
How to Make a Baby Sock Rattle
This adorable baby rattle is easy and inexpensive to make from a few craft supplies. What's more, it's baby-safe. Every piece of the rattle is sewn down securely, and the noise-maker is large enough that it doesn't pose a choking hazard. When baby shakes this sweet stuffed doll, it makes a fun rattling sound.
Things You'll Need
- Embroidery floss to match sock colors
- Red and brown embroidery floss
- Thread to match the white or skin-toned sock
- Baby rattle insert from your local craft store or Amazon.com
- Poly-fill stuffing
- Twist tie
- Hand sewing needle and embroidery needle
What to Do
- Wrap the rattle insert in stuffing and push it into the remaining open area of the sock. Continue adding stuffing to create the body of the baby. When the body is the size you want, use a double length of thread to close the bottom. Take large stitches to gather up the opening, and then pull to close it tightly. Sew around the bottom several more times to make sure it is very secure. Knot your thread and trim it.
You can make this baby sock rattle really unique by trying one or more of these ideas:
- Embroider buttons on the front of the body. Remember not to use real buttons to keep the rattle baby-safe.
- Make the rattle look like the baby who will use it. Choose a baby sock for the hat in the appropriate hair color and match the embroidery floss to the baby's eye color.
- Stitch the baby's name on the rattle for a personal touch.
- Add a stitched image of a pacifier, baby bottle, or other accessory using embroidery floss.
- Use a striped or patterned sock for the body to give your rattle a cute, custom look.
Use this template for a printable version of these instructions. Simply click on the image below to open up the .pdf file, and then print it out or save it to your computer for later use.
Bring a Smile to Baby's Face
Baby sock rattles are a great way to get extra use out of socks after your baby has outgrown them, as well as a fun method for using socks without mates. You can use these easy instructions to make an adorable baby toy that will bring a smile to the face of your favorite little one.