Baskets are fun to collect and display. A crocheted basket also makes a wonderful little gift, or a pretty container for small presents. If you can single and double crochet, you can make this basket using the following free pattern.
Pattern for a Crocheted Basket
This darling crochet basket measures about six inches and is a great way to use up leftover yarn. Use whatever color yarn you like, or consider using one color for the basket and another complimentary shade for the handle.
Click on the image or the image caption below to open this free pattern in .pdf format. Then you can either download the pattern to save for later, or print it out to use right away.
Instructions for a Larger Basket
If you want to make the above basket pattern bigger, follow these steps. The finished pattern makes a basket that is about 12 inches wide.
- 1-4 Same as small basket. 30 stitches total.
- 5 - Make a single crochet in the first four stitches and two in the next. Repeat around, 36 stitches total.
- 6 - Make a single crochet in the first five stitches and two in the next. Repeat around, 42 stitches total.
- 7 - Make a single crochet in the first six stitches and two in the next. Repeat around, 48 stitches total.
- 8 - Make a single crochet in the first seven stitches and two in the next. Repeat around, 54 stitches total.
- 9 - Make a double crochet in each stitch around. 54 stitches total.
- 10-14 Repeat round 9.
- 15 - Make a double crochet in first stitch, chain one , skip next stitch and make a double crochet in the next, chain one. Repeat around. 54 stitches total.
- 16-20 Repeat round 15.
- 21 - From here on, work in rows to form the handle. Make a double crochet in the first 15 stitches.
- 22 - Chain two and turn. Make a double crochet in each stitch across. 15 stitches total.
- 23 - Repeat row 22 until the handle reaches all the way across the basket at the height you want.
- 24 - Join with slip stitches to the other side of the basket. Tie off and weave in ends.
Make a Set of Baskets
For a more dramatic impact, consider making a set of baskets to hang from your Christmas tree or display on a shelf of windowsill. Fill them with trinkets, small fabric flowers, or leave them empty for a pretty presentation.