There are a number of PVC pipe craft projects on the Internet. Whether you are searching for a project to do with your scout troop or a fun craft for a rainy afternoon, PVC may be what you are looking for.
What Is PVC Pipe?
PVC pipe is a building material that is lightweight and inexpensive. PVC is an acronym for polyvinyl chloride, a sturdy material that is made from plastic and vinyl. It is very durable and can withstand bending and pressure. PVC was developed in the 1920s when a BF Goodrich employee was trying to come up with a way to bond metal and rubber. Over the decades, various uses were found for this product. In the 1950s, it began to be made into pipes. PVC is resistant to bacteria, so is actually a very clean substance to work with.
You are most likely to find PVC pipe on the plumbing aisle of your local home improvement store. It comes in several different diameters and can be used for a myriad of crafts and projects. You will need to cut it, however. To cut the pipe, you will need a hacksaw or a special PVC cutting saw which should be in the same department as the pipe.
Steps for Cutting PVC Pipe
- Wear safety glasses
- Make a groove with the saw
- Use long strokes and pressure
- File the rough edges
PVC Pipe Craft Projects for Children
PVC is a great craft material for children because, although they will need an adult to do the cutting, the pipe is easy to work with and light enough that small children can create with it.
- This PVC pipe dream catcher is a good project for older children and adults to work on together.. It does require use of a drill, so there will need to be plenty of supervision.
- This is two projects in one. For the child that is very crafty, consider building this PVC pipe loom.
- Your budding Jedi knights may be very intrigued by these Safe swords. If you want something more realistic, try this light saber.
- A Marshmallow Gun is a lot of fun. Kids can put the shooter together in various ways and blow mini marshmallows at each other.
Other PVC Pipe Crafts
PVC pipe craft projects aren't just for children. There are a number of things that you can make from this versatile material from home décor to bird houses and even soap molds.
- These napkin rings are quick and easy and would be great items to take to the church bazaar or school fundraiser.
- Organize your pool toys and supplies with this PVC organizer.
- If you love birds, this PVC pipe birdhouse may be something you would like to create. PVC pipe is also one of the best things to use as a post for your birdhouse or feeder.
- Once you have your birdhouse up and running, try a birdfeeder to go with it.
- If you make soap, you can make soap molds out of PVC.
- Garden and home décor can be created with PVC piping and other common craft items and tools.
- Use these instructions to make a marble run.
Making crafts and projects with PVC pipe can be an affordable way to feed your creative muse. Be careful to follow all of the safety guidelines when working with power tools, hot glue, and other items that you may need for your project.
Use these ideas for inspiration. You will be making furniture and other PVC related items in no time.