You don't have to be a whiz with the sewing machine to create beautiful throw pillows to brighten your living room or bedroom. You can add color and personality to any room in your home using these fun and easy no-sew pillow techniques.
No-Sew Placemat Pillow
You can make this quick pillow to decorate your home for a special holiday or simply to accent your everyday decor. All you need are a few basic supplies, including a purchased placemat made from two layers of fabric. The project takes about 45 minutes, including drying time.
Things You'll Need
- Placemat with two fabric layers
- Polyester stuffing
- Seam ripper or scissors
- Fabric glue
- Binder clips, if desired
What to Do
- Make sure you have the right kind of placemat for this project. It should be two layers of fabric that are top-stitched together. You'll see a line of stitching going all the way around the four sides. Locate one of the side seams on the placemat.
- Use your seam ripper or scissors to snip through the thread holding the two layers of fabric together. Open the entire side seam and remove any loose threads.
- Insert stuffing between the layers of fabric, making sure you get some into each corner. You can add as much or as little as you like to get the desired effect.
- Run a line of fabric glue down one side of the open end, trying to stay in the same area where the stitches were originally.
- Press the two layers back together, wiping off any excess fabric glue. If necessary, use binder clips to keep the two layers in place while they dry. Allow the pillow to dry for 30 minutes before using it.
Tied Fleece Pillow
This adorable fleece pillow is easy enough for kids to make on their own, and it makes the perfect accessory for a no-sew sleeping bag or fleece blanket. You can make the pillow any size you choose. Expect to spend about an hour on this project.
Things You'll Need
- Pillow form
- Fleece fabric, at least four inches wider than the pillow form
- Sharp scissors
- Measuring tape
What to Do
- Use the measuring tape and scissors to cut two squares of fleece that are four inches larger than the pillow form in both dimensions. Stack these two squares together.
- Holding the two layers of fabric together, make a fringe that is two inches deep all the way around the squares. Each piece of fringe should be about half an inch wide, and you should cut through both layers of fabric.
- At the corners of the square, cut out a notch of fabric about two inches by two inches.
- Starting at a corner, tie two corresponding pieces of fringe together. Repeat with each corner to help hold your fabric layers in place. Then continue tying the fringe together around three sides of the square. Leave the fourth side open.
- Insert the pillow form through the open fourth side. Tie this side closed. Your pillow is done!
Cute Pillows Without Needle and Thread
Sewing isn't for everyone, especially if you have limited time and space. Fortunately, you can create cute throw pillows without picking up a needle and thread or hauling out the sewing machine. Experiment with different pillow sizes and fabrics to create unique decor items that allow you to express your creativity.