If you want to learn to knit in the privacy of your own home, let knitting video tapes be your teacher. Besides being convenient, they allow you to learn at your own pace and on your own time.
Free Online Knitting Videos
There are many Web sites available that offer free knitting video tapes for you to view online or download to your computer. Many of these "how-to" video snippets give step-by-step instructions for English and Continental knitting. Here's a look at some of them:
- Knitting Help is home to more than 150 free knitting videos in beginner, basic and advanced techniques. Knitters can find instructions from bibs and ponchos to mittens and sweaters. Each project also gives recommended needle sizes. An online forum allows you to chat with other knitters on an array of subjects.
- The Knitting Site offers a few "how-to" videos in broadband, dial-up or Apple computer formats. Videos include basic and advanced techniques, as well as left-handed knitting.
- Knitting at Knoon Designs offers free tutorials in casting on and off, finishing, pattern stitches and more for newer knitters. All of the techniques outlined are used in the knitting patterns that are also available on this site.
Knitting Videos for Purchase
If you are looking for knitting video tapes or DVDs to watch on your television, craft or bookstores may have them for you to peruse. Online, there are many options including:
- Knitting From Start To Finishing - Everything You Need For Learning and Improving Your Skills is a VHS video by Bev Dillon. She outlines all the knitting basics, as well as the skills needed to finish a garment. Both Continental and English methods are shown, and a 14-page booklet is included.
- Learn to Knit is a three-DVD super set designed for all levels of knitting. Each DVD divides the techniques into chapters, which will allow you to quickly find the skill you want to learn. The camera angles let you view the instructions as if you were the teacher.
- Family Circle Presents Knitting Made Easy is a VHS knitting video tape that teaches seed, garter and stockinette stitches. Tutorials are available for scarves, shawls and baby blankets.
- The Complete Beginner's Guide to Knitting is a highly rated DVD for those learning to knit. You will learn all the basics in just a few simple steps. There is a companion Web site for the DVD where you can download free knitting patterns.
Other Knitting Video Tapes Options
Your local library may have instructional knitting video tapes available, as well as your neighborhood video store. You can also check out a library book sale or a garage sale for copies. Many of these knitting video tapes also have accompanying books or pamphlets that give step-by-step instructions. Find out if your area has a knitting club that meets, as most usually carry some sort of videos for their members to view. The Daily Knitter has a list of knitting groups throughout the United States.
A Final Touch
If you are viewing or downloading knitting videos from the Internet, make sure you have a antivirus program, such as Norton AntiVirus 2007 or McAfee to protect your computer from viruses. Also, if you need to download a video player, QuickTime or Windows Media Player 11 are your best bets.