Many adults struggle with finding fun and appropriate crafts for 13-year-olds. As young teens, these kids are no longer interested in the toy-based crafts of childhood, but they may not be ready for the more advanced skills associated with adult crafts.
Time of Transition
Turning 13 can be a difficult time in a child's life. As they enter the teen years, kids must leave behind some of the fun and imaginative activities of childhood. This loss can leave a void that is challenging to fill, and it makes kids vulnerable to negative choices like getting involved with drugs or alcohol. Crafting is a great way to show young teens that there are healthy alternatives to these activities, and it can be a bonding experience to work on a craft together.
The challenge is finding a project that young teens will find engaging and motivating. The following crafts are perfect for 13-year-olds.
Fun Beach Necklace
Both teen boys and teen girls can enjoy making and wearing a beach necklace. This is a great way to introduce young teens to the fun of beading, and it allows lots of opportunity for creative expression. Using hemp cord makes this a fast and easy craft. Before you begin the project, sort the beads into containers. This will make it easy for teens to see all the options and select beads for their necklace. Having the supplies ready ahead of time helps you keep kids' interest.
Things You'll Need
- Hemp twine
- Wood and shell beads with large holes
- Bead board, if desired
What to Do
- Estimate the desired length of the necklace, and cut the twine about a foot longer.
- Tie one end of the twine to one part of the necklace clasp.
- Place one bead on the string, and tightly knot the string to secure it.
- Continue stringing beads on the twine, knotting the twine between beads.
- When the necklace reaches the desired length, tie on the other part of the clasp. Trim off any excess twine.
Starburst Wrapper Bracelet
All you need are 36 Starburst candy wrappers and a safety pin to create this wearable craft! The folding technique will encourage attention to detail and allows for creativity in choosing a color pattern. The video below walks you through the steps to make the bracelets.
Funky Art Journal
Writing in a journal provides a great way for teens to process through difficult peer interactions or challenging decisions. It's also a method for kids to improve writing skills. This personalized journal makes a fun introduction to paper art.
Things You'll Need
- Blank book or sketch book
- Magazine clippings
- Scrapbook paper in fun colors and patterns
- Modge Podge or another decoupage medium
- Foam brush
What to Do
- Cut fun shapes out of scrapbook paper, and choose magazine clippings that represent your personality.
- Use the brush to apply a layer decoupage medium to the journal cover.
- Apply decoupage medium to the back of clippings and cut-outs. Place these items on the journal cover as desired.
- After placing the items, apply another coat of decoupage medium over the entire surface. Allow to dry.
- Apply a final coat of decoupage medium to help protect the journal.
More Crafts for 13-Year-Olds
If you'd like to find more crafts for 13-year-olds, check out the following articles:
No matter which craft project you select, young teens are sure to appreciate any outlet for their creative energy.